Movie of the week Poor Things (2023) with Emma Stone and Willem Dafoe - Surreal and Entertaining

Based on the 1992 novel of the same name by the Scottish writer Alasdair Gray.

I am fan of Willem Dafoe and most of his movies.

There was certainly a surreal feel to this movie, perhaps akin to The Grand Budapest Hotel (which Dafoe acted in 2014) and Brazil (1985), also Lobster (2015) which had the same Director as Poor Things.

It was a stretching role for Emma Stone, but she managed the transformation surprisingly well.

You will need to get by some over the top and obvious symbolism in the movie, but apart from that, I have to say I really enjoyed it, especially the more surreal scenes, and the great humour, which reminded me of Lobster.

I have to warn you there is a lot of sexual content, but I found most of that humorous, rather than offensive. I suppose that was the aim for the Director.

Highly recommend.







Comments

Popular Posts