Beau is Afraid - Movie Review - Too long and Overindulgent

Although I loved Midsommar and enjoyed Hereditary, I was disappointed by this effort (same director).

First of all it is wayyyyy too long, around three hours. I am not a fan of long movies, I prefer 80-90 minutes max.

It certainly could be improved with a good edit, as the last thirty minutes were especially average for me.

The opening scenes were fresh and creative, and the biggest feature of this movie was its unpredictability. Was it all the drugs, or was it his reality? The director kept this question cleverly in the mind of the watcher.

The acting was sound, especially by Joaquin Phoenix.

Abstract, arty, creative, but spoiled by a very bland ending, and the excessive length.

I preferred, and was reminded of The Wolf Hour with Naomi Watts.





5/10





Comments

Popular Posts