The Catcher in the Rye, the second time around.

 

I read The Catcher in the Rye, in my twenties, and I admit I liked it, and the language. It seemed quirky.

I read it again recently. I was not as impressed.

Very strong, interesting, natural dialogue, and characters. But I have to admit that the quirky language got a bit repetitive for me, the second time around, and towards the end of the book I actually found it a bit annoying.

I did like the fact that it is a happening book, as in things do happen, changing scenes, and interactions with people.

I really find books with little happening, and too much philosophising, such as in Sartre’s Nausea hard to bear, and get through, and far preferred Celine’s, Journey to the End of the Night, though I did find the second part of that book tedious too.

To me, the protagonist had a bit of an unnatural obsession with his younger sister. I have two sisters.

Then, of course the kind of climax, when his ex-teacher tries to, perhaps more implied than actual, have sexual relations with him.

I must admit, the second time around, I was just not as impressed, and truly wonder now, what all the hype was about? Around the same time, I read The Stranger, by Albert Camus, and was far more impressed with it, and enjoyed it far more.

My rating: 6/10

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts